Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Get a Brain


I have a love, hate relationship with my job. I don't know if everyone is like this. I have days where I absolutely cannot stand what I do and then I have days where I feel satisfied with it and I am content to do the work that I do on a daily basis. I don't know if my uncertain feelings stem from the fact that my day depends on the type of students that come into my office. If they have taken that extra step to find out information or to write down their questions then the interaction usually goes really really well. The student is happy and so am I. However, every now and then I get that one student who missed a deadline and still wants to drop a class and no matter how many times I say no they say, "And there's nothing you can do??" No, I'm sorry I am not a magic maker nor a miracle worker. A deadline, is a deadline is a DEADLINE!! I want to put that up in my office. :P There are also those days where I get students that come into my office and say, "Can you tell me what I've taken?" and I want to say, "You don't know?" Actually I did say that today...I'm bad huh? Yeah I know. I try to have patience, I try and I try. But they push me to the brink of no return. I find myself wondering and worrying that these are our future leaders. That these students will someday be teaching my children and it scares the living crap out of me. It's all about developmental advising. I am a teacher, not just someone who tells these students what to take. On a daily basis I am trying to give these students the tools to survive and to think for themselves once they graduate and get out into the real world. Sometimes however I don't want to give them the tools, I want to bang them over the head with them. :)

3 comments:

JennB said...

I'm just picturing you with some students transcripts, beating the holy hell out of them. It's a great picture. Tomorrow will be better...promise!

Anonymous said...

I feel that way too, but my kids are high schoolers, so they have a little bit more of an exscuse. I would really be worried if they were in college, asking those things. Insane.

JennB said...

I tagged you. Go to my blog for more info